Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Back To School

I'll let you in on a secret. I've gone back to school. I want to finish the degree that I was never able to finish because I met the love of my life when I was a sophomore in college. So here I am, a student again.

It's a lot of fun and certainly challenging. You know what I also realized? It seems like I don't have the patience to study anymore. At my age, it feels a little bit weird. I leaf through the study guides and I'm groaning inside. I have to read this? Do this? What???? It feels funny to go home and crack the books, take copious notes, and review for tests. It's a strange feeling, I tell ya.

My classmates are great, a friendly bunch of kids. My son is a senior in high school, and it seems like they all act the same. I listen to them swap stories and I can't help but smile. I hear those at home! I'm thinking this will be a good thing for my writing. I can pick up story ideas to run with and develop into a hot romance. Yay!

One glaring downside of going back to school is that I've had to drastically cut back on my reading. Yes, folks, I haven't picked up a book in weeks. I feel like I'm going through withdrawal. I don't know what new book is out or will soon come out. The free time I have I spend it writing so I can finish all my projects and make my editor happy. I wake up at five in the morning every day to get some writing done, spend a couple of hours at the office with my hubby to help out with admin stuff and then go off to study. It's a crazy life, but you know what? I believe it will pay off soon. I actually like the fact that I'm busy. Time doesn't drag while I'm doing all that.

Stay tuned. I'll keep y'all posted.

4 comments:

Cathy M said...

Wow, Bev, that is so cool and I am in awe of you. I quit college when I got married, too, and the thought of knuckling down with study habits and test taking, yikes. You go girl!! Can you tell us about your degree?

Lori said...

Wow - congrats! Good for you.

Beverly Havlir said...

Hi Cathy,

Right now, I'm just taking general ed classes but I eventually want to finish my Communications degree. I'm also taking an online medical transcription course so I can have my own hours and not have to commute to work!
My life is crazy right now, but I'm hangin' in there. *g*

Beverly Havlir said...

Thanks, Lori! I've found that I have to definitely budget my time, but I'm hoping it'll pay off in the future.