Thursday, April 26, 2007

Dark Heroes

I read Karen's post about dark heroes in romances. Do you like them? I do. To me, a dark hero is just as appealing, sometimes even more, than one who isn't. I like angst. I like baggage. I like a man who's weathered storms that have helped shape the man he is now. That gives him character and depth. Yum. So much more fun.

Of course, being dark doesn't mean the hero can be abusive, whether physical or verbal. I have never liked or agreed with a hero who physically hit the woman. But then again, there are exceptions. Now, now, before some of you get in a snit about that, let me clarify. If the slap--and I won't let the hero get any further than a slap--works within the plot and the characterization, then I don't mind it as much. It makes me cringe, but if its done well, it works for me.

For instance? Brenda Joyce's Promise of The Rose, which I read years ago. Loved this book, by the way. I love Joyce's historicals because her heroes are dark and tormented, strong and very alpha. In Promise of the Rose, the hero Stephen discovers his wife's Mary's alleged betrayal (whoa, is this is big ol' misunderstanding plot? *g* It does exist, then)when she left him and fled to her the family castle in Scotland when she overheard Stephen talking about laying seige against her father, Malcolm, the King. Stephen surmised that Mary had been spying and left to warn her family. If I remember correctly, she was deathly afraid for the lives of her brothers and parents. Mary fled to a monastery after hearing of her husband's anger at her perceived betrayal. To make a long story short, Stephen eventually found her. Mary tried to beg him to understand. He was so angry he slapped her (and unbeknownst to him, she's pregnant here) and banished her to some faraway castle.

Okay. This was a powerful scene for me. Why? Stephen was understandably angry at her betrayal. Instead of staying by his side, which was her duty, Mary left him to go to her family. Was the slap warranted? I thought so. In the context of the time setting, during those days when the man had absolute authority over his wife, I believed it. I'm as much of a feminist as the next woman, but when I'm reading a book, it has to stay true to the time setting. Promise of the Rose's plot revolved around politics, betrayals, arranged marriage, spying and royal intrigue. In this case, Stephen slapping his wife--once--worked. Joyce handled it well, I thought.

Don't get me wrong, though. If a hero is cruel and likes to beat a woman senseless just to get his kicks, then that's repulsive to me. Can't read something like that.

So yeah, I prefer dark heroes all around. I love to show the contrast between being a strong male, yet coping with some torment of sorts. It makes him real, somehow. Still larger than life, but real.

No comments: