Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Publicity Shy

My family knows I write and some of my friends do. Not a whole lot of others, though. And for good reason. I'm publicity shy. I'd rather wander anonymously in a bookstore and snap a picture of myself with my phone when I see my book on the shelf (I've actually done this, BTW). It doesn't take a lot to amuse me.

One day, I came across a lady at the local Borders who happened to be reading the blurb of Bodyguard. She looked up and saw me take the same book--I just had to touch it, of course. Wouldn't you know it, she asked me if I liked the author. I swiftly debated whether I should tell her it's me, but then, for some unknown reason, I decided not to. I told her it's a book that's been reviewed well and to try the author's other books on her website. The lady ended up buying Bodyguard. I asked myself why I didn't tell her the truth. I have no answer for that. Except that I wasn't prepared at that moment to be Beverly Havlir, you know? Weird, huh? I can't explain it, either.

I'm rabidly shy. Really. My inner vixen comes out in my books. The things I write about are the stuff of fantasies. Mine and a whole lotta other women out there. My kids go to private Catholic school, and I don't know how thrilled the school officials would be to find out what I write. Now before you jump on me for being ashamed of what I write, I'm not. Really. But I have to think of my kids, too. It's not all about me. I don't hide it, but I don't broadcast it, either. There are a select few who knows. Other than that, they think I'm an ordinary Mom actively involved in school fundraising.

Henrietta (names have been changed to protect the innocent *g*) has a son whose friends with my son since they were little freshies in high school. My husband told her about my writing, and Henrietta asked me what my pseudonym was so she can buy my book. I gave her a free one, an autographed copy, and hoped she'd enjoy it. I did warn her that it's not for the faint of heart. Her reponse? She reads Zane, and she likes erotic romance. But when she didn't call me for a week, I thought, there goes a friend. She probably thinks I'm too freaky to hang out with. A few days later, I gathered the nerve to call her. It turned out Henrietta loved it! She was so enthusiastic about it, to my relief, and confessed that she'd read aloud some excerpts to her husband. Now that got me blushing. I'll never be able to face him again. She said, "Girl, at our age, we need that kind of stimulation." Yeah, baby! Someone who understands. I love it. Henrietta passed the book on to another girlfriend then looked up Ellora's Cave website and bought my entire backlist. I couldn't believe it. That made all the stress and hard work worth it.

Hey, inner vixen? You can come out and play anytime. *g*

No comments: