Friday, December 08, 2006

A Heart-Wrenching Tale






I've been riveted by a story that's been in the media for the past few days. The Kim family, on a road trip in Oregon after celebrating Thanksgiving, took a wrong turn and their car got trapped in the snow. They were missing for nine days. The husband, James, took off on foot to try to find help. HIs wife and two daughters were left in the car. They were eventually found by a search helicopter.

James Kim was not so lucky. The devoted family man hiked ten miles, unknowingly going in a loop, and succumbed to hypothermia.

This is a heartwrenching story that broke my heart. I followed the story in the news and when they announced that his body had been found, a scant mile away from their stranded car, I cried. I said a prayer for the family. For the wife who lost the man she loved and for the two daughters who will never know the dedicated father who loved them.

Please say a prayer for them. It's never easy to lose a loved one in such a tragic way, but to lose him during this time of the year is even more painful.

3 comments:

Cathy M said...

I live in the Bay Area, and this was a huge news story for us. My heart hurt for all of them.

Beverly Havlir said...

Me, too Cathy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Lori said...

This is so sad, moreso after I heard yesterday that the road they got lost on was gated off by the DOF but the lock and gate were broken off by vandals.

My heart goes out to the whole family.