Friday, July 07, 2006

How Much Sex Are You Having?

Eighteen years ago, my husband and I were married. We were kids madly in love -- I was nineteen and he was twenty. Within two years, we had two beautiful kids. After eighteen years, I know him like the back of my hand. We can finish each other's sentences and think pretty much along the same lines. Our kids hate that, of course, because they can't play Mommy against Daddy, and they claim our ultimate plan is to control their lives. Bwa ha ha ha...what took them so long to figure that one out?

I was listening to the radio the other day while driving -- no, sitting-- on the 405. Anybody from So Cal knows that it doesn't matter what time of the day it is, the 405 is damn crowded! Everybody and their mama were on it the same time I was. But I digress. The topic on the radio was how little sex (or sometimes none at all) married couples are having nowadays! GASP! You mean people don't screw like rabbits anymore after they've been married for some time? You don't say!Which brings me to my question: How much sex is normal when you're married? By married, I don't mean two months, six months or even a year. I mean eight, nine, ten years. Even fifteen. Are you having sex once a week? Twice a week if you're lucky? What's normal anyway?

(I've read somewhere that men reach their sexual peak in their twenties. So their sexual urges were strongest at that time, I'm assuming. Women? In their thirties. So by the time women reach their sexual peak, men are over theirs. So should women go out with younger men who can match their appetites? *bg* Just food for thought. We'll talk about that another day.)

There are so many factors that can affect a married couple's sex life. For one thing, marriage carries so much more responsibility. Job pressures and financial issues are just a couple. Both can adversely affect a couple's sex life. Suddenly, settling down doesn't seem so peaceful and well..settled.

I also believe that married couples go through a period of adjustment after the initial intensity of the passion wears off after a few years. Like in my case, the things that my husband did back then that I thought were so cute and endearing now just irritate the hell out of me. Sound familiar? LOL. If I'm pissed, trust me, the last thing I feel like having is sex.

I'll be honest. After eighteen years, I've decided that I like quality over quantity. I've come to realize that sex is better when it's with deep intimacy and maturity. SO much better. Over the years, we've learned to discuss what works for both of us. You know what else is amazing? I tell him what I like and he tells me what he likes (I'll give you two guesses what that is) and we go on from there. Sex is important in a relationship and I don't think anybody can really say what's normal and what's not. Whatever floats your boat, so to speak. If spanking gets you off, hey, knock yourself out. *g* Different strokes for different folks. As long as you are having sex, right?


4 comments:

Karen Scott said...

The average for me and The Tall Guy is three or four times a week. Once upon a time, we used to have sex three times a day *g*

We've been together 13 years, so sex isn't as much of a priority as it used to be, but I think he would still do it three times a day if given the choice.

I'm just too damned tired for marathon sex sessions these days.

Beverly Havlir said...

Hi Karen,

Any man would do it three times a day if they could. LOL. Thirteen years, huh? That's great.
Like you, sex isn't much of a "must-have" thing for me and hubby, but we probably average twice sometimes three times a week. Life is just too busy.

I remember when we used to have it three times a day, too. God...that was way back when! LOL

Anonymous said...

These days, I'm happy if I get it twice a week. Of course I'm pregnant and not in the mood, but that's beside the point. Before we were pregnant though, we were having sex maybe 3 to 4 times a week. We've been together 8 years.

Lena

Beverly Havlir said...

Hi Lena!

Thanks for stopping by. Three to four times a week seem to be the norm. *g* Talk to me again after you've had your baby. I'd be interested to know how it will affect your sex life. LOL.

See ya this weekend!