Friday, November 03, 2006

Notable Reads

I've often been asked what I like to read. Obviously, I'm a romance reader. When it comes to books, my husband calls me disgustingly one-dimensional. It's hard to convince me to venture into books where romance isn't a big part. I've got to have romance, people! Sure, I like suspense, mystery and even funny elements mixed in the pot, but if there is no love story to tie it all together--bleh. Forget it. Here's three of my notable reads:

Cherry Adair: Edge brothers series








I just finished reading all three. It took me a while because, frankly, any reading time I have is usually very, very late at night or very, very early in the morning. I kinda have to squeeze it in on top of everything else. But this series is worth it. In the Edge brothers, Adair has created heroes that are alpha, strong yet vulnerable to the curse that they were born with.

Without going into too much detail, I will tell you that the Edge brothers all work for TFLAC, an anti-terrorist organization. Gabriel (Edge of Danger), Caleb (Edge of Fear) and Duncan (Edge of Darkness) are all wizards. They each have different powers and they all yield it so DELICIOUSLY. But with the curse hanging over their heads, the brothers are resigned to spending their lives alone and have sworn not to fall in love.

Adair is a great storyteller. The Edge series is the first of her books (connected to the TFLAC org) that I've read. I simply loved it. From the first moment the brothers meet their Lifemates, it's a non-stop roller coaster ride of adventure, danger and of course, sexual tension. My favorite of the three has got to be Gabriel. Of all three, he was the most averse to falling in love, to developing an emotional attachment, to even just physically touching his heroine, Eden. By the time they kissed, man, I was absolutely ready for it to happen. Some of the scientific terms and facts kinda made my eyes glaze over, but it was necessary to the story because Eden was a gifted scientist. Caleb and Duncan's story were just as good, though there was something about Gabriel and Eden's story that resonated with me.

My advice? Read the Edge series. You'll like it.

There's also a Harlequin Blaze book that Adair wrote years ago, Take Me, that I really liked. It has your usual series elements, but this was above par, in my opinion. Okay, just suspend your disbelief at the rather outlandish premise of the story (hero meets waitress heroine at a diner and asks her to marry him--on the spot) and immerse yourself in their journey. It's some years later, and the heroine, Jessie, has grown up, polished herself and made a career as an interior designer, all without Josh at her side since their marriage was a business arrangement. It was a little hard to believe that Josh (the hero) didn't recognize her when he met her at a party, but I guess they never had any extended contact. Josh is your typical hard-hearted magnate who keeps mistresses for a year, complete with contract and all. All that aside, these two positively sizzle in the bedroom. It was also very interesting to watch Josh as he slowly fell further and further in love with Jessie. The baddest, coldest ones always fall the hardest. This was a good one.

Next up: Anne Stuart's Black Ice and Cold As Ice. Karen positively sang Stuart's praises, along with everybody else. Will read it soon.

No comments: